The wait is over – at long last we have good news on the home front!
Our congratulations go to Tshepo Ramonyaluoe, a great friend of EWC, for his appointment as Senior Specialist in the Regional office of TNPA – we wish all the best & a well- deserved promotion.
We have been acutely aware of the heavy impact of weather (wind) delays in the PoCT , February alone saw 237 hours lost due to wind, a record for the month, and an increase of 119.1% from November 2022.
In view of this, TNPA launched their recovery plan yesterday, which is available on request, if you would like to receive a copy, please drop me an email.
As Exporters Western Cape we fully support this initiative which will assist our port in growing our economy.
In essence, the following will be strictly enforced:
- Deploy additional resources (marine crafts & Marine pilots)
- Implement staggered lunch breaks & staggered shift changeover
- Increased management visibility & supervision
- Enforce strict discipline to docking & sailing requests & protocols, opening & closing of stacks
- Increased communication wrt optimised operational solutions
- Maximum deployment of resources (manpower & Equipment) for recovery after windbound
- Management of late arrivals,
- Increase utilisation of night slots
- Imports evacuation to free up space for terminal fluidity
- Pro-active communication with stakeholders & customers
- Regular updates on deviation and pro-active feedback
- Appointed local supplier for emergency repairs to equipment avoiding unnecessary delays
- Prioritiseing berthing on a 1st come 1st serve basis, subject to order of priority
Terminal Performance (week 06 – 12/03)
CTCT : 13107 TEU moves, wind dela of 234 hours, on Saturday 3311 TEU was handled (it can be done!)
Night Shift : !4% ; 381 rail moves – 24 RTGs operational
CTMPT: 1973 planned 2492 TEU handled, also affected by wind delays, however 928 TEU was handled on 12/3
We also endorse the Western Cape’s take on Monday’s strike action as an economy we cannot afford this & what image does this display to our potential investors?
We are better together!